Library Instruction Sessions
Faculty can arrange sessions for their students, taught by Reference Librarians, which introduce library databases, library research, or source evaluation, tailored to specific course assignments. In these sessions, attention is given to familiarizing students with information literacy skills, research strategies, and new information resources such as online databases and traditional printed information sources. Orientations to special subjects are also possible.
Sessions are custom-designed to meet the special needs of each class and can be held in the library itself or in other WSC classrooms. Instructors at distant sites can also arrange to have a librarian travel to their off-campus location.
Policies & Procedures
The library instruction staff of Conn Library makes every effort to accommodate all requests for course-integrated library research instruction. The goal of these guidelines is to ensure a positive experience for faculty, librarian-instructors, and students.
- At least two weeks advance notice is requested. This allows the librarian adequate time to check on availability of classrooms and resources. It also gives us time to prepare a quality presentation for your class and to prepare appropriate bibliographies and handouts.
- Please plan to attend the session. Doing so will allow for more interaction between the class and the librarian and will improve the session for your students. Feedback from students also indicates that levels of student engagement are higher when the professor is present in order to answer student questions pertaining to the assignment. It also enables you to provide feedback to the librarian, which is an important component in improving this service.
- Submit the syllabus, research assignment, and sample topics a minimum of three business days prior to the date of the session. This will assist the librarian in tailoring the session to the specific assignment and research topics of your class, making it more relevant to your students' needs. Details on creating effective library assignments are available by request.
To request a library instruction session contact Valerie Knight (email or 402-375-7443) or fill out one of the following forms:
- CNA 100 / ENG 102: Use the custom Library Instruction Request Form to request a custom session designed for CNA 100 and ENG 102 to meet ACRL’s Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
- All Other Courses: Use the standard Library Instruction Request Form to request a session be tailored to your specific course needs.
Last Updated: July 2012